Flat Iron Steaks with Grilled Corn and Cumin-Lime Butter
1. Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak corn in cold water 30 minutes or up to several hours.
2. Combine rub ingredients. For Cumin-Lime Butter, combine 2 teaspoons rub mixture, butter and lime juice in small bowl; set aside. Press remaining rub evenly onto beef steaks. Cover and refrigerate steaks 30 minutes.
3. Remove corn from water. Place on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. About 15 minutes before corn is done, move ears to outer edge of grid. Place poblano and finger chili pepper in center of grid; grill poblano pepper 10 to 15 minutes and chili pepper 5 minutes or until skins are completely blackened, turning occasionally. Place peppers in food-safe plastic bag; close bag. Set aside.
4. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
5. Remove and discard husks from corn. Cover and refrigerate 2 steaks, 2 ears corn and grilled peppers to use in Steak and Grilled Corn Tortillas. Carve remaining 2 steaks into slices. Squeeze lime wedges over beef, as desired. Spread Cumin-Lime Butter over remaining 4 ears corn. Season beef and corn with salt and black pepper, as desired.
To make the associated rub, use the following ingredients:
2 tablespoons ground cumin
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
Cook's Tip: To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer’s directions for medium heat. Place vegetables and steaks on grid as directed above. Grill corn and poblano pepper, covered, 15 to 25 minutes, or until corn is tender and skin of poblano pepper is completely blackened, turning occasionally. Grill finger chili pepper 5 to 10 minutes or until skin is completely blackened, turning occasionally. Grill steaks, covered, 12 to 16 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally.
Cook's Tip: One boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut 1-1/2 inches thick, may be substituted for top blade steaks (flat iron). Grill, covered, 22 to 26 minutes (for gas grill, covered, 24 to 30 minutes) for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate half of the steak for use in Steak and Grilled Corn Tortillas. Carve remaining steak half into strips and serve as directed above.
Cook's Tip: Red finger chili peppers may also be referred to as cayenne peppers. If finger chili peppers are not available, one small serrano pepper can be substituted.