Pomegranate Steak with Quinoa
2 beef Strip Steak, Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Pomegranate seeds (optional)
Marinade & Sauce:
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups beef or vegetable broth
1 cup thinly sliced fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup pomegranate arils or sweetened dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- Combine Marinade & Sauce ingredients in a medium bowl. Reserve 3/4 cup for basting sauce. Place beef Strip Steaks, Boneless and remaining marinade in a food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close the bag securely and marinate in the refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare basting sauce. Pour reserved 3/4 cup marinade into a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced by half and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Cook quinoa in broth in a medium saucepan according to package directions. Stir in spinach, pomegranate arils and walnuts. Keep warm.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on a grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on a preheated gas grill, times remain the same) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally and basting with sauce.
- Carve steaks into slices; season with salt, as desired. Place quinoa on a serving platter; top with cheese. Arrange beef around quinoa. Garnish with pomegranate arils, if desired.
Cook's Tip: To cook on a grill pan, heat a nonstick grill pan over medium heat until hot. Place steaks on grill pan; cook 10 to 12 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally and basting with sauce.