Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Herbed Polenta Toast
Salt and pepper to taste
3 pounds Black Canyon® Angus Beef Chuck Short Ribs Boneless or Bone-In (about 4 x 2-inch pieces)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrot
4 cups Roasted Beef Stock, divided
15 fresh thyme sprigs
7 fresh rosemary sprigs
3/4 cup instant polenta
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
3 green onions, green part only, cut diagonally into 1/8-inch strips
(Optional) Fried shoestring potatoes
Use a 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
- Mix flour, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Coat beef Short Ribs in flour mixture.
- In pressure cooker, sear beef on sauté setting in 2 to 3 batches using olive oil as needed.
- Add 1/2 cup wine, onions, celery, carrot, 1/2 cup stock, thyme and rosemary in pressure cooker.
- Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use meat or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 90 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid.
- Meanwhile, cook polenta according to package instructions, replacing water with Roasted Beef Stock. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon chopped thyme. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Line 8 by 8-inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Coat with cooking spray. Pour polenta into prepared dish, spreading evenly. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Invert polenta onto cutting board. Cut into 6 equal squares. Cut each square diagonally in half, forming a triangle. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place green onions in small bowl of ice water. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of polenta triangles; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove polenta from skillet to same baking sheet. Repeat using remaining 1 teaspoon oil and remaining polenta triangles, if needed. Remove from skillet to baking sheet. Keep warm in 170°F oven until ready to use.
- Remove ribs from pressure cooker; keep warm. Discard thyme and rosemary sprigs. Strain cooking liquid through colander or fine mesh strainer; discard vegetables.
- Place 2 polenta triangles into each of four large shallow bowls; top with ribs. Pour 1/3 cup cooking liquid over ribs. Drain green onions from water. Garnish with green onion and shoestring potatoes, as desired.