Classic Beef Bourguignonne
- Cook bacon in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Reserve drippings.
- Meanwhile, cut beef into 1-inch pieces. Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef, adding bacon drippings or oil as needed. Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt and pepper. Pour off drippings.
- Add broth to stockpot. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. (deglazing the pan gives the stew a rich deep flavor) Stir in wine, tomato paste, garlic and marjoram. Return beef and bacon to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Add carrots, onions, and mushrooms to stockpot; stir until all vegetables are coated with sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 328 Calories; 9 g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 4 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 89 mg Cholesterol; 661 mg Sodium; 16 g Total Carbohydrate; 2.6 g Dietary Fiber; 32 g Protein; 4.3 mg Iron; 6.7 mg Niacin; 0.6 mg Vitamin B6; 3 mcg Vitamin B12; 8.5 mg Zinc; 41.7 mcg Selenium; 117.5 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber.