Garlicky Beef Roast with Grilled Tomato Pesto
1. Prepare grill for indirect cooking by igniting equal number of charcoal briquets on each side of fire grate, leaving space in center. When coals are medium, ash-covered (25 to 30 minutes), add 3 to 4 more briquets to each side. Place aluminum foil drip pan in center of grate between coals. Position grid with handles over coals so briquets may be added during grilling as needed.
2. Meanwhile, mince 3 cloves garlic; combine with 2 teaspoons pepper. Press evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
3. Place Roast in center of grid over drip pan. Arrange tomatoes, cut-side down, around Roast over coals. Grill Roast, covered, 45 to 60 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once. (Add 3 to 4 briquets per side every 30 minutes to maintain heat level.) Grill tomatoes, covered, 4 to 6 minutes or until skins begin to brown and tomatoes are softened, turning once.
4. Remove Roast when instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of beef registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer Roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
5. To make Tomato Pesto, place tomatoes, basil, cheese, remaining 2 cloves garlic, oil, salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until smooth.
6. Carve Roast into slices. Serve with tomato pesto.
Nutrition information per serving: 205 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 75 mg cholesterol; 248 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 1.3 g fiber; 26 g protein; 5.6 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 1.1 mcg selenium; 6.3 mg zinc; 5.0 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and zinc; and a good source of iron.
Cook's Tip: To prepare on gas grill, preheat grill according to manufacturer's directions for medium indirect heat. Place Roast and tomatoes on grid as directed above. Grill time for Roast will remain the same. Grill tomatoes 6 to 9 minutes.